Let’s face it – some of the romance has gone out of seeing a movie while its still in theaters. Why fight rowdy crowds and high prices when the movie you want to see is going to be available for streaming in a week anyway?
From choosing the movie and finding the best lighting, to selecting the perfect snack, here’s everything you need to know to plan a romantic/family movie night in the house. And To find the perfect movie to go with that perfect snack, check out the Find Your Critic tool from Pop Secret.
With that in mind, BEHOLD the top ten things you need to enjoy the perfect movie night at home:
1. The right rig. You don’t need to blow thousands of dollars on some mega-high-end video equipment to enjoy a great movie night at home. Shop smart and find the TV and audio equipment best suited to your entertainment room. Prices are ridiculously low right now for the best HD-LCD TVs so have at it!
2. The right movie. Nothing kills a mood (be it fun, romance, stress-relief, etc.) quicker than a bunch of friends or family arguing over film selection. Put your heads together and reach a compromise about your movie choices. And don’t forget to ask the experts.
3. No distractions. Turn off those cell phones. Make sure the dog is walked. An interruption-free evening really helps immerse you in the movie atmosphere.
4. Solid internet connection. More and more people are streaming movies off of Netflix, Amazon, XBOX Live and other services. Make sure that you’ve got the bandwidth to handle it – especially if you’re viewing your movie in HD.
5. Great snacks. The perfect snacks make the evening complete. The best popcorn is a must of course, but keep beverages cold and handy to quench your thirst as well.
6. Proper lighting. Draw the shades and hit dimmer switch. Whatever you need to do in order to achieve the best lighting effect will go a long way towards your enjoyment of movie night.
7. Easy clean up. Because NOT thinking about clean-up during the movie is a must, stick with recyclables for drinks and dishes.
8. Proper pillow placement. Look, there are certain things you just can’t do at a movie theater – and we say EXPLOIT this fact. Watch your movie lying on your side, or with pillows all over the floor. Just be sure to make it extra comfortable.
9. Great sight lines. Arrange your furniture and seating areas so that you enjoy perfect sight lines with the TV. Make sure to reduce glare by positioning your screen properly.
10. Make it a “theme night”. Finally, we suggest that you kick it up a notch in terms of festivity. Enjoying a night of 70′s movies? Cook retro snacks and dress in polyester. Watching The Godfather trilogy? Break up into families and declare a power struggle with one another. (OK, maybe not).
Now that you’ve got the intel, kick back and enjoy movie night in. And share your favorite movie night tips in the comments section below.