Neil Patrick Harris Reveals He and His Family Had COVID-19 Earlier This Year: ‘It Wasn’t Pleasant’
During an appearance on Today yesterday (September 15, 2020), actor Neil Patrick Harris revealed that he, his husband, and children contracted COVID-19 earlier this year, near the start of the outbreak in the US.
Harris said that he and his husband, David Burtka — as well as their 9-year-old twins, Harper and Gideon — all now “feel great” after quietly overcoming the virus earlier this year.
“It happened very early… like late March, early April,” Harris, 47, said, adding that they were following precautions, but eventually he came down with what felt like the flu.
“I didn’t want to be paranoid about it,” he said, “Then I lost my sense of taste and smell, which was a big indicator, so we holed up.”
According to Harris, the recovery process was “was not pleasant.”
“But we got through it and have antibodies and are feeling good,” the actor said, adding that he and his family “want to make sure everyone’s doing their best to slow this down every way possible, for sure.”
His appearance on the show was to talk about the fourth and final book of his children’s book series, The Magic Misfits: The Fourth Suit.
He explained, “I wanted to write books that my kids would like, but I also wanted to write books that other types of kids would like, so for me, I wanted diversity of families of all kinds to be a part of the book, but not the part of the book.”
“Diversity in families is important,” the Harris elaborated.
“Everyone in the books have different families, whether it be their actual families or adopted families or their friends who are their family. I think right now in a divisive world it’s nice to have things that kids especially can relate to, and read, and regardless of their circumstances, feel like they have an in.”