On Thursday (November 14, 2019), the 29-year-old Swift took to Twitter and accused Big Machine Records’ Scott Borchetta and Scooter Braun—who purchased the singer’s back catalog for $300 million in July—of preventing her from performing her songs at the upcoming American Music Awards on November 24.
“Scott Borchetta and Scooter Braun have now said that I’m not allowed to perform my old songs on television because they claim that would be re-recording my music before I’m allowed to next year,” Swift wrote, in her post, which she captioned with “I don’t know what else to do.”
Taylor continued: “I feel very strongly that sharing what is happening to me could change the awareness level for other artists and potentially help them avoid a similar fate. The message being sent to me is very clear. Basically, be a good little girl and shut up. Or you’ll be punished.”
Carlyle Group, a private equity firm, was involved in the sale of Swift’s back catalog, according to CNBC.
On Saturday (November 16, 2019), support for the Swift came from a surprising source: Warren, who backed the singer in a Twitter post.
“Unfortunately, @TaylorSwift13 is one of many whose work has been threatened by a private equity firm,” the Massachusetts senator tweeted. “They’re gobbling up more and more of our economy, costing jobs and crushing entire industries. It’s time to rein in private equity firms — and I’ve got a plan for that.”
On Friday (November 15, 2019), Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez also chimed in on Swift’s ongoing battle with Borchetta and Braun, tweeting: “Private equity groups’ predatory practices actively hurt millions of Americans. Their leveraged buyouts have destroyed the lives of retail workers across the country, scrapping 1+ million jobs. Now they’re holding @taylorswift13’s own music hostage. They need to be reigned in.”
On the flip side, Justin Bieber has taken sides in the feud between Big Machine Records in support of his manager Scooter Braun.
The “Sorry” hitmaker posted a screenshot of a website article that insisted the singer was “dead wrong” about the statements she made regarding her ability to perform certain music.
NEW IN THE SL SHOP
- Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard for Mac — Solar Recharging, Mac-Friendly Keyboard, 2.4GHz Wireless – Silver$54.99
- BalanceFrom GoYoga+ All-Purpose 1/2-Inch Extra Thick High Density Anti-Tear Exercise Yoga Mat and Knee Pad with Carrying…$21.14
- Wandering Bear Extra Strong Organic Cold Brew Coffee On Tap, Straight Black, 96 fl oz – Smooth, Unsweetened, Shelf…$29.99
- Zojirushi SM-SA36-BA Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Mug, 20-Ounce, Black$29.99
- Home Office Chair Ergonomic Mid-Back Mesh Desk Chair, Adjustable Height with Lumbar Support,Flip Up Arms and Large Thick…$149.99
- KN95 Face Mask 60 Pack, BLScode Black KN95 Mask Individually Wrapped, 5-Layer KN95 Face Mask with Comfortable Elastic…$39.99
- Google Nest Thermostat – Smart Thermostat for Home – Programmable Wifi Thermostat – Sand$99.99
- Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill$59.95
- eufy by Anker, BoostIQ RoboVac 30C, Robot Vacuum Cleaner, Wi-Fi, Super-Thin, 1500Pa Suction, Boundary Strips Included…$179.99
- Ultimate Ears BOOM 3 Portable Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker – Night Black$129.99
- 4K Ultra HD Webcam Varifocal HD 5-50mm Lens USB Mini Web Camera [email protected] USB with Camera Sony IMX317 Sensor…$120.99
- Beats Solo Pro Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear Headphones – Apple H1 Headphone Chip, Class 1 Bluetooth, 22 Hours of…$229.79
DISCLAIMER: We only feature things that we love. If you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.