On Thursday (November 14, 2019), the 29-year-old Swift took to Twitter and accused Big Machine Records’ Scott Borchetta and Scooter Braun—who purchased the singer’s back catalog for $300 million in July—of preventing her from performing her songs at the upcoming American Music Awards on November 24.
“Scott Borchetta and Scooter Braun have now said that I’m not allowed to perform my old songs on television because they claim that would be re-recording my music before I’m allowed to next year,” Swift wrote, in her post, which she captioned with “I don’t know what else to do.”
Taylor continued: “I feel very strongly that sharing what is happening to me could change the awareness level for other artists and potentially help them avoid a similar fate. The message being sent to me is very clear. Basically, be a good little girl and shut up. Or you’ll be punished.”
Carlyle Group, a private equity firm, was involved in the sale of Swift’s back catalog, according to CNBC.
On Saturday (November 16, 2019), support for the Swift came from a surprising source: Warren, who backed the singer in a Twitter post.
“Unfortunately, @TaylorSwift13 is one of many whose work has been threatened by a private equity firm,” the Massachusetts senator tweeted. “They’re gobbling up more and more of our economy, costing jobs and crushing entire industries. It’s time to rein in private equity firms — and I’ve got a plan for that.”
On Friday (November 15, 2019), Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez also chimed in on Swift’s ongoing battle with Borchetta and Braun, tweeting: “Private equity groups’ predatory practices actively hurt millions of Americans. Their leveraged buyouts have destroyed the lives of retail workers across the country, scrapping 1+ million jobs. Now they’re holding @taylorswift13’s own music hostage. They need to be reigned in.”
On the flip side, Justin Bieber has taken sides in the feud between Big Machine Records in support of his manager Scooter Braun.
The “Sorry” hitmaker posted a screenshot of a website article that insisted the singer was “dead wrong” about the statements she made regarding her ability to perform certain music.
NEW IN THE SL SHOP
- Bose QuietComfort 35 II Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones— Wireless, Over Ear Headphones with Built in Microphone…$249.00
- Polk Audio Signa S2 Ultra-Slim TV Sound Bar Works with 4K and HD TVs Wireless Subwoofer Includes HDMI and Optical Cables…$179.00
- Vega Protein and Greens Vanilla (26 Servings, 26.8 Ounce) – Vegan Plant Based Protein Powder Shake, Gluten Free, Non…$22.49
- Amazon Basics Neoprene Coated Dumbbell Hand Weight Set$39.99
- Casper Sleep Element Mattress, King$795.00
- 2 Pack Microwave Splatter Cover, Transparent Cover, Microwave Plate Cover Lid with Handle and Adjustable Steam Vents…$10.99
- Adaptive Sound Technologies Sound+Sleep SE Special Edition High Fidelity Sleep Sound Machine with Real Non-Looping…$103.32
- Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Cloud + Cooling ProHi Pillow, Memory Foam, Queen, blue$150.04
- All-new Echo Show 8 (2nd Gen, 2021 release) | HD smart display with Alexa and 13 MP camera | Charcoal$129.99
- Keurig K-Slim Coffee Maker, Single Serve K-Cup Pod Coffee Brewer, 8 to 12 oz. Brew Sizes, Black$77.33
- 2021 Apple iMac (24-inch, Apple M1 chip with 8‑core CPU and 8‑core GPU, 8GB RAM, 512GB) – Blue$1,699.99
- Cuisinel Cast Iron Skillet Set – 4-Piece Chef Pan – 6″ + 8″ + 10″ + 12″-Inch + 4 Heat-Resistant Handle Holders – Pre-seasoned Oven Safe Cookware – Indoor/Outdoor Use – Grill, Stovetop, Induction Safe$59.99
DISCLAIMER: We only feature things that we love. If you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.