According to TechCrunch, Instagram will broaden a test it has been running in other countries to U.S. users. In this test, the number of “Likes” that a particular message receives is hidden from everyone except for the creator of the post.
Instagram CEO Adam Mosseri revealed this at the Wired25 conference in San Francisco on Friday. Mosseri said that the idea is to make the platform less competitive, producing a lower amount of anxiety for members.
The executive said, “The idea is to try to depressurize Instagram, make it less of a competition, and give people more space to focus on connecting with the people they love and things that inspire them.”
Such a change could ease the pressure to win approval with images, videos or comments and, instead, get people to simply focus on what is in the posts.
The move is part of Instagram’s attempt to keep from turning into another Twitter where members are routinely attacked for their political and religious beliefs.
The hiding of “Likes” started in Canada back in April and hit Ireland, Italy, Japan, Brazil, Australia, and New Zealand two months later.
Instagram parent Facebook started a similar test in Australia during September.
NEW IN THE SL SHOP
- Man of Steel (Blu-ray)$7.99
- Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection [Blu-ray]$42.76
- BEAST 20oz Navy Blue Tumbler – Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Coffee Ice Cup Double Wall Travel Flask$23.00
- The Heir Affair (The Royal We Book 2)$12.99
- elago R1 Intelli Case Compatible with Apple TV Siri Remote 4K / 4th / 5th Generation (Matte Black) – Magnet Technology…$7.99
- Himal Collapsible Portable Corn Hole Boards With 8 Cornhole Bean Bags (3 x 2-feet)$35.98
- Jabra Elite Active 65t Earbuds – True Wireless Earbuds with Charging Case, Copper Black – Bluetooth Earbuds with a…$106.00
- Blendtec Classic Fit Blender with FourSide Jar (75 oz), 30-sec Pre-programmed cycle, High-Low Pulse, Professional-Grade…$250.27
- Supreme Plush Ultra-Luxury Allergy Friendly Bamboo Shredded Gel-Infused Memory Foam Pillow Combination with Adjustable…$79.99
- Echo Show 5 — Smart display with Alexa – stay connected with video calling – Charcoal$64.99
- JoyJolt Spirits Stemless Wine Glasses for Red or White Wine (Set of 4)-15-Ounces$16.95
DISCLAIMER: We only feature things that we love. If you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.