Alex Trebek won a posthumous Daytime Emmy for hosting Jeopardy! on Friday, with the show also winning an award in its own category. Trebek’s son, Matt, and daughter, Emily, accepted the trophy from behind the host’s podium on the quiz show’s set.
“For as long as we can remember, he was always so proud to be a part of ‘Jeopardy!’, to work on a show that was based on knowledge, risk and the challenge — people had to think,” Trebek’s son said. “He loved every bit of it.”
“He was always excited to go to work even during his battle with cancer,” his daughter added. “He was so fortunate that he was able to do what he loved and we know that he not once took it for granted.”
It was Trebek’s third straight victory and sixth overall in the category. He was nominated a record 32 times during his career.
THE LATEST ON SL
Jeopardy! won as best game show. Executive producer Mike Richards dedicated the award to Trebek, who hosted for 37 years.
“He was more than just a game show host, he was a legend, a towering figure,” Richards said in pre-taped remarks. “He believed that Jeopardy! was more than just a game show. He loved it because it stood for facts, competition, and the celebration of intelligence.”
Trebek was remembered in a special tribute segment, along with Regis Philbin and Larry King. Among those honoring Trebek in taped comments were U.S. first lady Jill Biden and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
“I got to talk with him a few years ago and he expressed to me how proud he was to be a Canadian,” Trudeau said. “I had to tell him that all Canadians are incredibly proud that he’s one of us as well.”
The full list of 2021 Daytime Emmy Awards winners
- Outstanding Drama Series: General Hospital (ABC)
- Outstanding Limited Drama Series: Studio City (Amazon Prime Video)
- Outstanding Game Show: Jeopardy (Syndicated)
- Outstanding Legal/Courtroom Program: The People’s Court (Syndicated)
- Outstanding Morning Show: CBS Sunday Morning (CBS)
- Outstanding Informative Talk Show: Red Table Talk (Facebook Watch)
- Outstanding Entertainment Talk Show: The Kelly Clarkson Show (Syndicated)
- Outstanding Entertainment News Program: Entertainment Tonight (Syndicated)
- Outstanding Daytime Special Event: Space Launch Live: America Returns to Space (Discovery and Science Channel)
- Outstanding Daytime Non-Fiction Special: Creators for Change on Girls’ Education With Michelle Obama (YouTube Originals)
- Outstanding Performance by a Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Jacqueline McInnes Wood as Steffy Forrester, The Bold and the Beautiful (CBS)
- Outstanding Performance by a Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Maurice Benard as Sonny Corinthos, General Hospital (ABC)
- Outstanding Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Marla Adams as Dina Mergeron, The Young and the Restless (CBS)
- Outstanding Performance by a Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Max Gail as Mike Corbin, General Hospital (ABC)
- Outstanding Younger Performer in a Drama Series: Victoria Konefal as Ciara Brady, Days of Our Lives (NBC)
- Outstanding Guest Performer in a Drama Series: Cady McClain as Jennifer Horton-Devereaux, Days of Our Lives (NBC)
- Outstanding Culinary Host: Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa: Cook Like a Pro (Food Network)
- Outstanding Game Show Host: The late Alex Trebek, Jeopardy (Syndicated)
- Outstanding Informative Talk Show Host: The late Larry King, Larry King Now (Ora TV)
- Outstanding Entertainment Talk Show Host: Kelly Clarkson, The Kelly Clarkson Show (Syndicated)
- Outstanding Writing Team for a Drama Series: The Young and the Restless (CBS)
- Outstanding Directing Team for a Drama Series: General Hospital (ABC)
DISCLAIMER: We only feature things that we love. If you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.