Jerry Harris, the breakout star of hit Netflix docuseries Cheer, is “so happy” after being named “the gay black icon we need in 2020” by BET.
The 20-year-old member of the Navarro College Bulldogs Cheer Team rose to fame when the group became the subject of the popular show, and he quickly became a household name and key figurehead in LGBTQ+ culture.
Speaking on the latest installment of Variety and iHeartRadio’s The Big Ticket Podcast, released on Thursday, June 4, 2020, Jerry opened up about being a role model for young children and how he’s been coping with his newfound fame as a student in a small college town outside of Dallas.
“Just hearing that from them makes me so happy because I love BET,” he told host Marc Malkin about the reaction from the network. “I definitely feel like it is a lot of pressure to live up to, but I want to be that person that everyone knows that can handle it and doesn’t let it get the best of me or take me from who I am.”
Jerry also hopes that his higher profile might help inspire younger people still struggling with their sexuality.
“I want to be someone that’s fearless, that’s confident to others, and that’s confident to themselves and believes in themselves, and just to tell them you can be who you want to be, and you can be who you are, because you are perfect and you are enough for anyone,” he added.
Listen to Jerry Harris’ interview below
- Meet Instagram Hottie Levi Mack
- Lea Michele Deletes Her Twitter Account Amid Trolling Following Naya Rivera’s Disappearance
- SL Recommends: PetLibro Automatic Pet Feeder, The Beast Tumbler, elago R1 Intelli Apple TV Siri Remote Case and More!
- The Week in Drag – Snatch Game Reactions, Willam and Heidi N Closet Go to the Dogs, Queens Coming to a Drive-In Near You and More
- Naya Rivera’s Family’s and Ryan Dorsey’s Emotional Visit to Lake Piru, Heather Morris Offers to Help Search
- Nyle DiMarco, Brooks Laich, Shawn Mendes and More Insta Snaps
- Brooklyn Beckham Engaged to Nicola Peltz: ‘I Am the Luckiest Man in the World’
- Let’s Kiki About RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 5 – The Charles Family Backyard Ball
FROM OUR PARTNERS
★ Well, hello! Pro tennis player Milos Drakulic is naked! [OMG BLOG]
★ After calling in to Fox News host Sean Hannity’s show on Thursday night, President Donald Trump said doctors were “very surprised” when he recently passed a cognitive test. [Towleroad]
★ Take a look inside Natasha Bedingfield‘s $2.25 million home. It could be yours! [Evil Beet Gossip]
★ That time Virginia Wade dethroned Chris Evert at Wimbledon. [Kenneth in the 212]
★ 30 Years Ago Today, Princess Diana Got Gussied Up For the Premiere of….Back to the Future III, because a premiere is a premiere. [Go Fug Yourself]
★ Times are tough for everyone. Robert DeNiro cut his ex-wife’s AmEx allowance from $100K to $50K a month. [Celebitchy]
★ Roger models some briefs for Walking Jack undies. [Boy Culture]