Teigen’s promise made via Twitter was apparently a response to President Donald Trump making a reference to “MAGA night” at the White House. It wasn’t clear what the president was referring to, but it was enough to provoke Teigen to first commit to paying $100,000 and then doubling the amount after receiving a number of negative comments on Twitter.
A number of people posted negative comments in response to Teigen’s tweets, noting some of the protesters have been committing acts of violence, looting and arson.
One commenter said “You want to bail out people who burned down neighborhoods, looted stores, set cars on fire, hey go for it.” Another wrote: “You mean releasing criminals who used this as an excuse to steal and destroy their own city.”
READ MORE: Black Lives Matter
Across the country hundreds, if not thousands, of people have been arrested at protests over the death of George Floyd.
Floyd died after a Minneapolis police officer placed a knee on his neck for nine minutes in a video captured by a bystander.
Some of the protests have turned violent. In Minnesota, dozens of stores were looted and a police station was set on fire. In Los Angeles, buildings have been set on fire and police cars have been vandalized.
And a number of celebrities were supporting and contributing to the Minnesota Freedom Fund, which is helping protesters in that state.
- Meet Instagram Hottie Rafael Silva
- Quickies: Angelina Jolie spotted leaving ex-husband Jonny Lee Miller’s NYC apartment and more
- David Archuleta comes out as part of LGBTQIA+ community after 20 years of trying to change himself
- Ricky Martin, Shawn Mendes, Dan Amboyer and more Insta Snaps
- Quickies: NBC’s Ultimate Slip N’ Slide’s explosive diarrhea outbreak, Megan Fox, Selena Gomez, Emma Cornin, The French Open, and more
- Lamar Odom knocks out Aaron Carter during 2nd round of celebrity boxing match
- The Week in Drag – Nina West’s new Pride anthem, Alyssa Edwards takes on Simon Cowell, The Vivienne’s royal makeup collection, and more
- QUOTED: Lara Flynn Boyle on what she really thinks of the tabloids