“Sophie” apologized to the Australian guitarist in a series of tweets, explaining that she was assaulted at a concert, but has now learned it was by someone else who is now deceased.
“Today I found out that my offender is dead. My offender IS NOT MICHAEL CLIFFORD,” she wrote. “HE NEVER TOUCHED ME. HE NEVER SAID THOSE THINGS TO ME. He’s innocent.”
“I know there’s literally nothing I can do to change what I said yesterday and I wish, with my whole heart, there was a way to erase everything. All I can do is say that I’m completely sorry, surprised and heartbroken,” she added.
“I’m sorry Michael. I’m completely sorry for being wrong about you and the damage I may caused [sic].”
The initial accusations were originally made on Monday from a now-deleted Twitter account.
Other since-deleted tweets, as reported by NME, were posted by an account with the handle @knowyoureta, and Michael Clifford immediately denied claims he invited underage girls to his hotel room.
The tweet claimed that Clifford “used to invite underaged girls to his hotel room/tour bus after shows.” The user alleged an incident took place in 2014 while 5 Seconds of Summer were supporting One Direction on tour.
Clifford responded to the claims on Twitter, saying he was “heartbroken” by the accusations and deemed them “beyond untrue.”
He wrote: “holy shit. i am heartbroken to read these things that are being said – they are just BEYOND untrue. i was never allowed in the crowd i only ever watched at front of house – and i would’ve never EVER done that. i wouldf NEVER do anything like that. i’m so fucking upset.”
On Saturday (June 13, 2020), Clifford apologized for tweets he’d sent in 2012 that were recently resurfaced, including a joke about women belonging in the kitchen, and another that used homophobic language.
“I am a different person now with a much better understanding of the world. some people have access to a digital megaphone a bit earlier than they should, unfortunately, I was one of them.”
“I am so sorry for hurting anyone,” he continued. “it was never my intention. I was so naive and I am embarrassed and I am beyond sorry. I will continue to be better and I will continue to change. I never want to hurt anyone again.”
- Pedro Soltz: Male Model Spotlight
- Sean Combs denies rape and abuse allegations: ‘Enough Is enough’
- Taylor Swift says she moved to a ‘foreign country’ after Kim Kardashian released her call with Kanye
- Angelina Jolie is done with Los Angeles, ‘Hollywood is not a healthy place’
- Charles Melton’s Critics Choice Celebration heartfelt acceptance speech is an emotional one
- Please don’t throw things at Florence Pugh, or at any celebrity for that matter
- Ryan Reynolds shares recreation of Blake Lively & Taylor Swift pic with Travis Kelce
- Male Model Monday: Aaron Owen, Joseph Bruzas, Raphael Diogo, and more