Harry and Meghan’s official residence was gifted to them by the Queen but required extensive renovation to make it habitable for the couple and their son, Archie.
In January, they announced that they were stepping back from their senior roles in the royal family and planned to split their time between the UK and North America, the continent of Meghan’s birth. They recently bought a home in Montecito, near Santa Barbara in California.
As part of Harry and Meghan’s change of roles, they said they would work to become financially independent and repay the Frogmore Cottage costs. It is understood they have been able to make the payment now because of their recently signed multimillion-dollar Netflix deal.
Harry’s spokesman said: “A contribution has been made to the sovereign grant [the source of funding to the royal family] by the Duke of Sussex.”
“This contribution as originally offered by Prince Harry has fully covered the necessary renovation costs of Frogmore Cottage, a property of Her Majesty the Queen, and will remain the UK residence of the duke and his family.”
- Adele Kills it on SNL and Even Sings and More Quickies
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Undergoes Heart Surgery and Is Feeling Fantastic and More Quickies
- The Five — Game Time, A Dad Busting a Move, Pool Anyone, Dance Like You Mean It, and a Baby’s Smile
- Adele shows off American accent in teaser ahead of SNL hosting debut and More Quickies
- Ariana Grande Drops the Official ‘Positions’ Song and Music Video — LISTEN
- Jared Leto, Nick Adams, Tom Holland, and More Insta Snaps