He asserted that the Real Housewives franchise rendered soaps unnecessary. Cohen stated that reality shows subsumed soaps and rendered them obsolete:
We’re voyeurs, but we also love stories.We want to be entertained, and I think that the ultimate expression of voyeurism is reality television. I know [Susan] Lucci doesn’t agree with me, but I think that the Housewives have replaced soap operas because truth is stranger than fiction. Soaps became kind of unnecessary because you could do it with real people, and they’re writing the drama themselves.
In February, Lucci responded to previous comments made by Cohen about Real Housewives replacing soap operas.
She told Page Six, “I don’t think they are the modern-day soaps,” referring to the reality franchise. “There’s no storytelling. There’s a lot of editing. It’s, like, they cut to the chase all the time, and I think it’s different.” She added that reality stars are “great at entertaining,” but reiterates “I don’t think they’re the same.”
When a fan called Cohen’s involvement as a “shameless promotion” for the reality TV producer, he responded and said, “I went to the interview as a soap fan prepped to talk soaps, and they asked about reality tv and I answered their questions. Sue me!”
- Tom Ford LOL’d at House of Gucci, but was ‘deeply sad’ after watching the film
- Male Model Monday: Delaney Ortiz, Pedro Soltz, Luke Allen, and more
- Get ready for a ‘Cucu Christmas’ with Cynthia Lee Fontaine and her new holiday song, ‘Bring Me the Holidays’
- Lindsay Lohan engaged to boyfriend Bader Shammas: ‘My future’
- Meet Instagram Hottie Nawroz Yusofi
- The Week in Drag – Drag Race UK crowns a queen, Mama Ru saves Christmas, Katya and Jinkx watch Tiger King 2 and more
- Shawn Mendes, Matt Bomer, Jai Rodriguez, and more Insta Snaps
- Bryan Adams tests positive for COVID for the second time in a month