He asserted that the Real Housewives franchise rendered soaps unnecessary. Cohen stated that reality shows subsumed soaps and rendered them obsolete:
We’re voyeurs, but we also love stories.We want to be entertained, and I think that the ultimate expression of voyeurism is reality television. I know [Susan] Lucci doesn’t agree with me, but I think that the Housewives have replaced soap operas because truth is stranger than fiction. Soaps became kind of unnecessary because you could do it with real people, and they’re writing the drama themselves.
In February, Lucci responded to previous comments made by Cohen about Real Housewives replacing soap operas.
She told Page Six, “I don’t think they are the modern-day soaps,” referring to the reality franchise. “There’s no storytelling. There’s a lot of editing. It’s, like, they cut to the chase all the time, and I think it’s different.” She added that reality stars are “great at entertaining,” but reiterates “I don’t think they’re the same.”
When a fan called Cohen’s involvement as a “shameless promotion” for the reality TV producer, he responded and said, “I went to the interview as a soap fan prepped to talk soaps, and they asked about reality tv and I answered their questions. Sue me!”
- Armie Hammer’s rape accuser questions ‘manipulative’ suicide claims, believes he’s trying to gain ’empathy’ with interview
- Tom Prior, Michael B Jordan, Jonathan Majors, Joey Zauzig, Ashton Kutcher, and more Insta Snaps
- Watch: Jennifer Lopez appears to scold Ben Affleck in awkward candid moment at the Grammys
- Tom Brady poses semi-naked on Instagram
- Key winners for the 2023 Grammy Awards
- Beyonce breaks Grammy record for most wins ever
- Male Model Monday: Jhonatan Mujica, Marlon Teixeira, Joe Bruzas, and more
- The truth revealed: Prince Harry lost his virginity to former stable girl: ‘It was wham-bam between friends’