A clerk in the Cook County’s office confirmed to ABC 7 News Tuesday that the 37-year-old actor had been indicted on six counts of disorderly conduct by special prosecutor Dan Webb after the actor was previously charged with 16 counts of felony disorderly conduct for allegedly lying to police about the attack in January 2019.
Webb was appointed by a Cook County judge to continue the investigation in looking into the false allegations after the case was dropped by the state’s attorney’s office.
As of right now, the actor has been charged with six counts, with one of them being disorderly conduct. The actor is due in court on February 24th.
As previously reported, Smollett made headlines last year after he claimed to have been a victim of a hate crime when he was allegedly attacked near his Chicago home.
He told police, at the time, that two men had allegedly yelled racist and homophobic slurs at him before throwing a rope around his neck and pouring a bleach-like substance on him.
However, by the end of the investigation, Chicago police came to the conclusion that the actor had allegedly paid two Nigerian brothers, Ambimbola and Olabinjio Osundairo, to stage an attack against him. Soon after, he was arrested and faced 16 felony counts of disorderly conduct for making a false police report.
Several weeks later, all charges against him were dropped by the State attorney’s office.
From Our Partners
- Britney wishes sons special happy birthday [Evil Beet Gossip]
- Brad Pitt is suing Angelina Jolie over her attempt to sell her half of Miraval [Celebitchy]
- OMG, WATCH: Netflix teases new Britney conservatorship documentary [omgblog]
- John Waters on the Cover of Town & Country Is a Delight [Go Fug Yourself]
- Remembering Labelle Diva Sarah Dash [Boy Culture]
- Who else is up for a game of tennis? [Kenneth in the 212]
- Sarah Jessica Parker pens a touching tribute to Willie Garson
- Harry Styles slams ‘game playing’ in relationships: ‘Trash, trash, trash’
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo accused of sexual harassment by former boss, says he apologized
- Madonna recalls her recent phone call with Britney Spears to ‘check on her’
- Andrew Garfield Reveals What He Disliked About Playing Spider-Man
- Beyoncé reflects on her 40th birthday in an emotional letter to fans
NEW IN THE SL SHOP
DISCLAIMER: We only feature things that we love. If you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.