Williams was discussing Phoenix following his recent Golden Globes win for Joker and said she finds him “oddly attractive”.
She described the scar to the audience on The Wendy Williams Show as a “hairline fracture”.
She said: “He’s got one of those, what do you call it? Cleft lip, cleft palate.
“I find it to be very attractive.”
The presenter then hooked her finger in her lip to imitate a cleft lip, which occurs when parts of a baby’s face do not join together properly during development in the womb.
Williams’ demonstration garnered backlash online, particularly from Canadian football player Adam Bighill, who has tweeted at the talk show host several times over the past week asking for an apology.
The 55-year-old US TV star has now apologised to “the cleft community” for her comments on January 7, which provoked a backlash online, and said the programme is donating to two charities supporting those with the birth defect.
She also said she wanted to “encourage our Wendy Watchers to learn more and help support the cleft community”.
From Our Partners
- Male Model Monday: Michael Yerger, Dan Zsolt, Jordan Torres, and more
- Emmy Awards 2021 Red Carpet: The Men
- Everything we know about You Season 3
- Emmy Awards 2021 Red Carpet: The Women
- Jake Gyllenhaal clarifies ‘sarcastic’ shower comment
- Emmy Awards 2021: The Crown, Ted Lasso, Michaela Coel, Hacks, Mare of Easttown, win big — The full list of winners
NEW IN THE SL SHOP
DISCLAIMER: We only feature things that we love. If you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.